Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Admin application

+12
Lansamur
Spec
Sir_Alexander
virus_found
Snake
Segroeg
Valarya
Rasdor
The_Storm
LiasTheBeast
kekn
BD_Baby_Wolf
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Admin application - Page 3 Empty Re: Admin application

Post by Willow Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm

I thought my quote was appropriate Razz. I only had two years of latin, all I remember are some phrases. If I try really hard maybe I can order a beer in Vatican City. I have no idea what "beer" is in latin though, so I would have to improvise Very Happy.
Willow
Willow
Viscount

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't know how many people in vatican city actually speak latin, but I don't think it's too common to order a beer in latin Razz

I had so many years of latin, and yet I suck at it and could never communicate properly in latin. English on the other hand I didn't have as long in school and never had good grades at first, but teh internets still teached me quite well. I think latin should be teached like that. Talking, instead of translating. Who needs to be able to quote de bello gallico? What I remember most is our teacher greeting us with "salvete discipuli discipulaeque" - which is not uncommon for teachers to use, but that's pretty much it for actually spoken latin.

I'm sure I'd be able to speak latin today if I had learned it as a living language, not as a dead one. This way, I can only translate stuff, and even then it just feels over-complicated and dull.

And it's not the fault of the language, really.

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Guard_Bjarky Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 pm

yep, it's that stupid school rule that just because a language is dead you may no speak it, oh my, god forbid somebody dares to speak it QQ.
Sometimes these rules are just to silly and complicated ^^

Guard_Bjarky
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by LiasTheBeast Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:35 am

Nescio loqui latine. Google usum tantum reddo. Est autem vultus fun posse loqui latine, pleraque quia puto k frigus. Very Happy
LiasTheBeast
LiasTheBeast
Squire

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:17 am

Guard_Bjarky wrote:yep, it's that stupid school rule that just because a language is dead you may no speak it, oh my, god forbid somebody dares to speak it QQ.
Sometimes these rules are just to silly and complicated ^^

Latin is my support in Pharmacy, every medicine, or at least their logical or primal names, you will understand for what it is, what it contains and etc.. that is if you are a proper Pharmacist.

Also the recipes that doctors give you to go to the Pharmacy are written(depends on country) in Latin, or shortcut Latin.

Snake
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir_Alexander Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:23 am

Snake wrote:
Latin is my support in Pharmacy, every medicine, or at least their logical or primal names, you will understand for what it is, what it contains and etc.. that is if you are a proper Pharmacist.

Also the recipes that doctors give you to go to the Pharmacy are written(depends on country) in Latin, or shortcut Latin.

Yeah, but there isn't any real reason for that other than that ruling classes and/or elite clubs (such as scientists) like to prevent the spread of knowledge and make themselves feel special by using languages which others won't understand.
Sir_Alexander
Sir_Alexander
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:52 am

Sir_Alexander wrote:
Snake wrote:

Yeah, but there isn't any real reason for that other than that ruling classes and/or elite clubs (such as scientists) like to prevent the spread of knowledge and make themselves feel special by using languages which others won't understand.

Yes there is a reason, if you dont know the real reason please dont write those negative things, since we are the one who give you medices to be healthy lol, even if we put the price 10x more then Prime medicines HAR HAR!
The main reason is to know the medicines, since everywhere its a rule to use latin, tell me if we started to use English and not Latin, you know how it would sound? Awful, let me give you an example why we use Latin, since english came from Latin: haem - blood, rrhagia - rupture = haemorrhagia Blood rupture or bleeding

I dont know what to tell you really, maybe people in UK use latin only for ruling classes and elite clubs like to prevent the spread of knowledge and make themselves feel special. Really feel special? You must learn first learn Latin, Pathology, Physiology, Botanic, In/Organic Chemistry - The bases, and then Pharmacognozi, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biochemistry, Microbiology and more freaking hardcore materials to be an Pharmacist and know exactly for what this medicine is, you cant just: " wooo I know what this means so I will use such dosage and quantity as I see fit" Latin is a way to safe people from the "Uhhh SHINY" stuffs, LATIN is what makes me study all those hard stuffs I named above easier, its not an way to demonstrate that I R KING, or etc..

In my Latin lessons, I think this( http://www.eet.unsw.edu.au/~timm/GreekLatin.html ), is what it was most important for me. Smile

Snake
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:58 am

@Alex You totally got that wrong. It's an attempt to spread knowledge of the lingua latina! Hurray to the pharmacists!

This is getting silly.

Admin application - Page 3 Graham_chapman_colonel

(Yes, I was merely looking for an excuse to post a Monty Python-related picture)

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir_Alexander Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:11 am

Snake, there is no real need to use a long-dead language to define phenomena, compounds or the like which could be just as easily described using a modern, living language. Except wait a second, if those not in the elite science club knew that language, they would also have access to a greater proportion of the knowledge of the subject and therefore the science club's power over them would be decreased.

Please attempt to give me an objective reason why it ought not be called blood rupture and not haemorrhagia, you'll be hard-pressed to find one.
Yet if it were called the former and not the latter, surely it would allow more knowledge for more people and indeed save the wasting of so much time spent learning Latin names and not doing science.

Don't get the idea however that it is entirely the scientific establishment which I am criticising for this, the same can be observed in philosophy, economics, horticulture, slang etc. etc.
Sir_Alexander
Sir_Alexander
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:17 am

Sir_Alexander wrote:Snake, there is no real need to use a long-dead language to define phenomena, compounds or the like which could be just as easily described using a modern, living language. Except wait a second, if those not in the elite science club knew that language, they would also have access to a greater proportion of the knowledge of the subject and therefore the science club's power over them would be decreased.

Please attempt to give me an objective reason why it ought not be called blood rupture and not haemorrhagia, you'll be hard-pressed to find one.
Yet if it were called the former and not the latter, surely it would allow more knowledge for more people and indeed save the wasting of so much time spent learning Latin names and not doing science.

Don't get the idea however that it is entirely the scientific establishment which I am criticising for this, the same can be observed in philosophy, economics, horticulture, slang etc. etc.

I think the main purpose of Latin as a helper language is to avoid confusion in different countries... it not only applies to medicine but also to animals and plants and such, they all have latin names, which makes it easy to identify them, the language itself is not a need, its just an helper language.

Snake
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 am

Today, latin can not function anymore like you describe, Alex.
Everyone can easily translate something that was written in latin, without ever having learned it.

It is obvious that some foreign languages, especially french and latin, were used by certain groups in society for a long time, partly to withhold information (the classic example being latin in the medieval church), but I think this concept now is outdated in this form. There's more effective ways to keep information within a certain group today - the latin names are just a left-over. There's no harm in it now that everyone can just look up these things on their iphones or whatever.

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Valarya Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:08 am

I hate latin so badly. It should die.
Valarya
Valarya
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir_Alexander Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Bah, science is mysticism anyway. If you don't say the magic words right, nothing happens. ; P
Sir_Alexander
Sir_Alexander
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Sir_Alexander wrote:Bah, science is mysticism anyway. If you don't say the magic words right, nothing happens. ; P

Says an Uman..

Snake
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3