Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Badminton, anybody?

+5
TKTom
Uruk34
Sir_Alexander
kekn
BD_Baby_Wolf
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Badminton, anybody? Empty Badminton, anybody?

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 am

I just got listed to an amateur badminton team, after not playing for like 12-13 years (because of a leg injury, got ran over by a car... lol...), and im so over exited...
Ordered a new racket from ebay, it's Yonex nano speed in head-light configuration, just like what i played before, exept it's a bit lighter, by 3-4 grams if i remember it correctly.
Also i found this beautiful game with my favorite two teams vs each other.
game 1:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PlanetBadminton#p/search/2/m5mkgI5X50s
game 2:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PlanetBadminton#p/search/1/veNiXyt9f-c
game 3:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PlanetBadminton#p/search/3/y_hJ8Kpr2_c

Hope you enjoy it as much as i did Smile
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Badminton, anybody? Empty Re: Badminton, anybody?

Post by kekn Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:52 am

I played for 4 years when i was younger, but stopped due to other interests. I am messing with the idea of starting again myself, but not just yet, still have my master thesis left Smile

Good luck... hope you've kept in shape just a bit, otherwise you will drop dead before the first serve, ho ho ho!
kekn
kekn
King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir_Alexander Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:13 am

Badminton... is that the one like tennis?
Sir_Alexander
Sir_Alexander
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks Kekn, i really hope that i can play now. But now that im a smoker, i think im gonna drop dead on 5th serve... lol...
Alex, badminton and tennis have only one thing in common - it's the rocket, other than that it's completely different sport, much harder physically. In fact, i think badminton is physically the hardest sport. Also the "shuttle" is the fastest projectile it racket sports, it's speed may get over 90m/s on smashes.
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by Uruk34 Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:49 pm

BD_Baby_Wolf wrote: it's the rocket.

Wow, I'd like to play your version of badminton!! :p
Uruk34
Uruk34
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TKTom Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:57 am

That... is a fantastic idea.

1. Get a shuttle
2. Rig a firework into it with a 10 second fuse.
3. Serve
4. ?
5. Profit

TKTom
TKTom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valarya Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:25 am

Wait... are we talking about the same sport? Like... tennis-bat-thingey+feather-ball-thingey? Hardest sport? Oh boy I guess I played it wrong then! for me it was.. fairly relaxing.. tennis is way harder (imo!)
Valarya
Valarya
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:07 am

Valarya wrote:Wait... are we talking about the same sport? Like... tennis-bat-thingey+feather-ball-thingey? Hardest sport? Oh boy I guess I played it wrong then! for me it was.. fairly relaxing.. tennis is way harder (imo!)
Well, you haven't play it professionally, so it seems easy, but you can watch the videos i posted and see how it's not.
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:16 am

lol, i just checked the fastest smash, and it was 421km/h (151.5m/s) = 57.5j of kinetic energy..... i wonder it it could kill the player....
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by Valarya Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 am

IT couldnt! Smile Its not heavy / hard enough Smile not enough kinetic energy? I mean I was hit by those balls a couple of times (nonproffesional) and it just hurts, if they hit the right spots >.> But its not like I get bruises.. and I bruise easily.
Valarya
Valarya
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 am

well it almost half the speed of sound, and i've seen a player drop to the ground receiving a smash to his head, that wasn't even half that speed.
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:21 am

50+ Joule is quite something. What's the safety limit for airsoft/paintball? 7ish (at least here)? According to Wikipedia a .22 round has about three times that power, and the ball-thingies used here are softer and larger than a bullet, but that still sounds dangerous.

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by kekn Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 am

Here lies kekn

Killed by a stray shuttlecock No
kekn
kekn
King

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:26 am

airsoft limits are 1j-3j depending on your country. I think we (in Israel) have the highest limit of 3.4j. We had an accident not long ago, a guy was shot with ~2j from close range and the ball stuck inside one cm left from the main artery. My ear was penetrated with ~1.5j. 7j is probably the limit for paintball rather than airsoft. And, airsoft standard BB is 5.95mm, while .22 is ~5.5mm, so it's not that far.
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by Valarya Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:26 am

In germany the limit for certain air-pressure weapons is 7,5 joule, mostly 4,5mm Diabolos. When such a thing hits you on the ass from about 2-3 Meters distance it hurts like hell (own experience :DDD) But it wont go through the skin. With an modified, stronger spring (easy to get but illegal to use) you can raise the power to roughly 25 J. Never got hit by such a thing but people use 4,5mm projectiles with such a power to kill birds / rats. With a 5,5 I was told you can even kill a rabbit, even a fox. (Slower speed but more power) Getting hit by such a thing in the head might be deadly. But its small and travels fast... A big ball would not penetrate your skin, and I doubt it will have enough power to damage your brain so much that you'd die.
Valarya
Valarya
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:56 am

Valarya, you are mistaking air rifles/pistols with airsoft. The airsoft, as far as i know, is illegal in Germany and the air rifles are illegal in Israel.. lol
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:59 am

Yes, the 7.5 is paintball from all I know, airsoft has different limits. They're still legal in germany, although very much limited (no automatic fire for instance).

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:21 am

Great to hear that, Spec! I believe 3 years ago it was limited to people that have real firearm license and you could only shoot targets with it. But im glad that its ok now and you can play Smile
off-topik: is "kleine wolf" a right translation for "baby wolf"? Smile
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 am

Actually, the most direct translation would be "Babywolf". "klein" translates to "small"; there's the term "Säugling" for "infant" and since we're talking about a wolf, of course "Welpe" as translation of "whelp", but "baby" is today just "baby", the english term made it into german dictionaries and is by far the most used one.

The main difference to the english way of spelling it would be the capital B and that it'd be either written as one word "Babywolf" or like this: "Baby-Wolf" (then with both words beginning with an upper case letter).

3 years ago the laws actually were less strict. Until around that time, the laws were like this:

Airsoft guns were classified as either toys or "'free' weapons". An airsoft gun with an energy below 0.5 J was classified as toy and could fire fully automatic and everything, anything above that (up to the limit of 3ish J) was classified as a weapon and marked with an <F> somewhere on it. It could not be carried outside your home or special areas designated for the sport (such as of course shooting ranges, but genrally also playing fields, as long as it was ensured that there was a marked "safe-zone" as big as the range of the most powerful weapon invovled, or it being inside a building), but it was allowed to shoot at eachother as long as that was within these limits. Another limit was that no automatic fire would be allowed (as fully automatic firearms, and it kinda counted as a one, are limited to military and police here). Both classes of airsoft guns could also, for example, not have flashlights or lasers on them, since those are also strictly military/police-limited. Scopes and Red-Dots were fine though.

I'm not quite up-to-date, but the main change recently was that with the general fear of terrorism in the last years, everything that looks remotely like a weapon is now considered an "Anscheinswaffe", "dummy gun", and may therefore only be carried on OWN private property: You now have to be the OWNER of the land you use it on in order to be allowed to fire either a 0.5 J one or a stronger one. There's discussions about whether that means only one person is allowed to carry them at any given place, or if it means that they need a license or whatever from the owner, of if they can be partial owners etc. etc. They can be stored (or carried safely, unloaded, seperated from ammunition and locked) anywhere, still, so you could have them at home and travel over, say, the belgian/austrian/dutch/whatever border to use them there - that is, if the police officers at the border don't pick your car for a search and take them to the station because they aren't sure about current laws, especially regarding export etc, or because they want to test the guns to see if they are not modified/illegaly imported.

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 am

ok, the real story of my nickname is, when i joined our airsoft team "timber wolves" they nicknamed me "волчонок" (something like a wolf pup or a baby wolf) and since we wear German uniform (flectarn) and authentic German ranks, i wanted to translate it to German.
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:24 am

Ah, yeah, I remember that ^^ Yea. I think going with either "Babywolf" or something like "Wolfwelpe" (sounding a bit more wolfish) would be quite 'realistic' of a translation.

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by BD_Baby_Wolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 am

well.. if "Baby-Wolf" is still ok in German, then ill go with that. Thanks, mate! Smile
BD_Baby_Wolf
BD_Baby_Wolf
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Yup, that'd be fine Smile

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Valarya Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:11 am

Baby-Wolf sounds unprofessional. Its not german enough. Go for "Wolfswelpe". No one will doubt its germaness. Baby is an used word in german - sure. But its still english! Very Happy And if you call an animal baby, its somewhat as you treat it like a human. I would say canine babies -> Welpe/n Very Happy AND IT SOUNDS MORE AWESOME!
Valarya
Valarya
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Spec Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:27 am

You could argue that "Baby" sounds too human, yes. But it's the same in English.

Spec
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum